John Strozzi Post #12108

We are located in Beatty Nevada and have been actively part of our community since May of 2011 when we were first granted our charter with a total of 36 members (Now 119 Members). Our post would be named John Strozzi Post #12108 in honor of Sargent Strozzi, a former veteran of Beatty who gave the ultimate sacrifice during WWII.

John Strozzi Post #12108 distinguishes itself as the “The Can Do Post” which has made great strides during its first years as a charter VFW post and through its Auxiliary. The Post was dedicated by Commander in Chief of VFW John Stroud on August 1st, 2014 presently based out of a former 1905 Rhyolite church located at 300 W Main St.

Interesting Fact

Over 90% of the decorations and memorabilia are related to a member. We also have displayed the only Medal of Honor awarded to a Nevada service member during WWII.

Post Meetings

VFW Post #12108 Members meet every 2nd Thursday

of the month at 1800 hours (6pm).

Auxiliary Meetings

VFW Post #12108 Auxiliary Members meet every 2nd Saturday

of the month at 1700 hours (5pm).

Committee and Special Meetings

Committee and Special meetings are held as needed.

If you are a member, refer to your email(s) for more information.

Post History

In late 2010 - early 2011 an effort was started to establish a VFW Post in Beatty. With 36 members we were granted a charter in May 2011. The name of the new Post would be John Strozzi Post #12108, Veterans of Foreign Wars. Sargent Strozzi was a Beatty resident killed in WWII. Many of his kin still live in the Beatty locality. Our first organizing meetings were held at the Happy Burro under the guidance of Jerry Chamlee,the State Commander at the time. We elected George Wehrly as our first Post Commander. Our first meetings were at the Beatty Community Center. Shortly after we started an Auxiliary for the ladies.

In May we contracted to buy an old church being used as a private residence. The beauty of the old church was it was built Ryolite in 1905. Somewhere between 1915 and 1926, it was torn down and rebuilt at its present location. Demo lasted about 3 months. We have installed new water, sewer, electrical and heating and cooling. We opened the Canteen in late October 2013. After opening the Canteen we immediately started working on the Meeting room. All the work culminated on August 1 2014 when our Post was dedicated by the Commander in Chief of The Veterans of Foreign Wars, John Stroud.

We still have to build the kitchen, a walk in cooler and redo the steeple( after the last year and a quarter, not a problem)